Patient Participation Group (PPG)
New Group Members are always Welcome
Our PPG is a volunteer group of patients and practice staff. We meet 3-4 times a year to talk about new services and initiatives for Wye Surgery.
The group aims to help us continuously improve the way we meet patient needs and expectations.
We aim for a wide cross-section of patients with different ages, needs and backgrounds - young people, workers, parents, single people, retired people, those with long-term health conditions and people from different ethnic groups.
Please get in touch if you would like to join the group.
Since April 2015, it has been an NHS contractual requirement for GP practices to establish and maintain a Patient Participation Group (PPG), and to make reasonable efforts for this to be representative of the practice population. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has an expectation that a practice will have a functioning PPG.
What Does Wye PPG Do?
Wye Surgery PPG is a volunteer group bringing together patients, doctors and staff from the surgery to discuss issues and the services provided to patients.
- Enables a communication channel between the patients and the practice, and vice versa.
- Acts as sounding board for surgery innovations.
- As a critical friend, and by representing patient views, it can influence the development of policies in the practice helping patients to make the best use of the facilities and services available.
- Provides insight into the responsiveness and quality of service.
- Researches the views of those who use the practice (The PPG cannot become involved in a patient’s personal medical matters, however, “patient experience” informs us on matters which may affect other patients).
- Helps improve health literacy enabling patients to take greater responsibility for their own, and their family’s health. As the NHS encourages patients to “own” their personal healthcare, the PPG can signpost self-help guidance for a range of non-urgent medical and support services.
- Communicates regularly with the patient population. Wye Surgery is part of the Mid Kent Primary Care Network (PCN), and the chairs of the Practices in the PCN attend regular meetings, where current issues are discussed. The aim of the Group is to identify good
Wye Surgery is part of the Mid Kent Primary Care Network (PCN), and the chairs of the Practices in the PCN attend regular meetings, where current issues are discussed. The aim of the Group is to identify good practice amongst PPG’s and to look at opportunities where, as a group we can influence decisions.
PPG membership is open to any patient registered at the Practice, and parent or carer of a registered patient at the Practice.
Subject to eligibility, members are welcome from anywhere within the Surgery Catchment area. It is important that the PPG reflects a true cross section of the patient population and new members are always welcome.
There is no limit on numbers for PPG membership and we are aiming for a wide cross section of patients with different ages, needs and backgrounds - young people, workers, parents, single people, retired people, those with long term health conditions and people from different ethnic groups.
To make it more accessible for all, sub-groups can be formed to enable members to be involved where the usual meeting time of early evening does not fit in with their commitments. An example is where a group of parents have children in a creche or school, and a meeting could be arranged during the daytime.
The PPG meets 4 times a year and meetings are usually held in the Surgery meeting room.
The spring meeting includes the Annual general Meeting when the chair, vice chair, secretary and treasurer are elected. Chair and vice chair serve a maximum of three years.
The Practice Manager and a GP Practice partner attend each quarterly meeting to present news of developments within the Practice, and to respond to issues raised by the PPG.
How Can I Get Involved?
Come along to any meeting or get in touch via our secure online form
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.